After the stumble in the previous week, global financial markets dusted itself off and got back onto its feet to continue its climb last week with tech-related stocks, as well as the stocks in the energy sector taking lead. Investors’ sentiment was boosted by better than expected retail sales numbers flowing out of the US, news that the US Feds would be expanding its bond-buying program to also include corporate bonds, as well as the reopening of more key economies.
In the news
- It was generally quiet on the economic data front last week. However, what little that was announced had drove global financial markets higher after stumbling in the previous week caused by concerns over the rising number of infection cases.
- Investors cast aside concerns on the rising number of pandemic cases, which now stands just below 9 million cases globally, with the US recording more than 2.3 million cases, and more than 120,000 deaths.
- Sentiment was boosted by the US Fed’s announcement that it would be expanding its bond-buying program to also participate in individual corporate bonds, more encouraging retail sales numbers, as well as the reopening of key economies.
- The technology sector continued to strengthen, with the NYSE FANG+ Index rising 3.9% in MYR terms last week with the support of its underlying components as all 10 names saw steady gains in stock price. The strongest performance came out from media streaming co, Netflix Inc, which rose 8.5% in USD terms. The strength of the sector benefitted the 0830EA, which saw its NAV rise by 7.1% last week in MYR terms.
- Brexit talks resumed between the UK and the EU, with the UK Prime Minister being optimistic that an agreement could be reached by July this year.
- China saw a resurgence in pandemic cases, which resulted in the implementation of movement restrictions as fears of a 2nd wave emerged. But given the experience and the success in containment earlier, experts believe that China will be able to manage the situation should there be a resurgence.
- Fears were casts aside, pushing China’s equity market higher as most key China related indices ended the week on a stronger note. The performance was led by the consumption-centric S&P New China Sectors Ex A Share Index, which climbed 3.5%, whilst the CSI 300 and the Shanghai Composite rose 2.5% and 1.8% respectively. The 0829EA, which tracks the said consumption-centric index rose 3.6% last week, to bring its YTD gain to 13.6% in MYR terms.
- Oil prices spiked 9.6% last week and briefly rose above the USD 40 per barrel mark before ending the week just marginally lower at USD 39.75 per barrel on Friday. Prices saw support through the expected rise in demand on the back of more economies reopening for business, whilst the cut in production by major oil producers continue.
- With risk appetite returning, Gold price took a breather compared to the major equity indices. The 0828EA closed the week marginally lower, but holds tight to its position as one of the strongest performing asset classes for the year with a YTD gain of 17.8% in MYR terms.
In other economic news
- US retail sales data shines glimmer of hope
- Retail sales were reported to have seen a 17.7% surge in May – its biggest monthly gain in history.
- However, jobless claims continue to remain high with another 1.5 million Americans putting in their claim last week.
- This marked the 13th week that unemployment claims have remained above 1 million. Total claims now stand at 45.7 million for this 13-week period.
- UK increases its stimulus as economic data stays weak
- Bank of England took lead from the US Feds, and announced that its bond-buying program would increase by GBP 100 billion.
- Inflation rate for the economy had slowed to a 4-year low of 0.5% in May, which has been attributed to the weaker oil price.
- Employment data has not been encouraging, with 528,000 unemployment claims made in May as job cuts continued across the country.
ETF strategies at TradePlus
- To Hedge:
- 0828EA – a Gold-backed ETF widely used as a storage of value in times of market uncertainty.
- 0833EA – a HSCEI Inverse strategy that helps hedge your portfolio against weakness from the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0831EA – the NYSE FANG+ Inverse strategy that hedges against the performance of tech stocks listed in the US.
- To Add Position:
- 0829EA / 0829EB – a strategy that gives investors exposure into the consumer focused sector through China companies listed in HK, and the US.
- 0832EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the HSCEI that captures 2 times the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0830EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the NYSE FANG+ that captures 2 times the performance of US listed tech stocks.
A look at the performance of the TradePlus ETFs, and major global indices
Learn more about TradePlus ETFs
Disclaimer: This article has been prepared by AHAM Asset Management Berhad (“AHAM Capital”) specific for its use, a specific target audience, and for discussion purposes only. All information contained within this presentation belongs to AHAM Capital and may not be copied, distributed or otherwise disseminated in whole or in part without written consent of AHAM Capital. The information contained in this presentation may include, but is not limited to opinions, analysis, forecasts, projections and expectations (collectively referred to as “Opinions”). Such information has been obtained from various sources including those in the public domain, are merely expressions of belief. Although this presentation has been prepared on the basis of information and/or Opinions that are believed to be correct at the time the presentation was prepared, AHAM Capital makes no expressed or implied warranty as to the accuracy and completeness of any such information and/or Opinions. As with any forms of financial products, the financial product mentioned herein (if any) carries with it various risks. Although attempts have been made to disclose all possible risks involved, the financial product may still be subject to inherent risk that may arise beyond our reasonable contemplation. The financial product may be wholly unsuited for you, if you are adverse to the risk arising out of and/or in connection with the financial product. AHAM Capital is not acting as an advisor or agent to any person to whom this presentation is directed. Such persons must make their own independent assessments of the contents of this presentation, should not treat such content as advice relating to legal, accounting, taxation or investment matters and should consult their own advisers. AHAM Capital and its affiliates may act as a principal and agent in any transaction contemplated by this presentation, or any other transaction connected with any such transaction, and may as a result earn brokerage, commission or other income. Nothing in this presentation is intended to be, or should be construed as an offer to buy or sell, or invitation to subscribe for, any securities. Neither AHAM Capital nor any of its directors, employees or representatives are to have any liability (including liability to any person by reason of negligence or negligent misstatement) from any statement, opinion, information or matter (expressed or implied) arising out of, contained in or derived from or any omission from this presentation, except liability under statute that cannot be excluded.
Warning Statement: A copy of the Prospectus / Supplemental Prospectus for the TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker and TradePlus S&P New China Tracker, as well as the Master Prospectus for the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker, TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker, TradePlus HSCEI Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and TradePlus HSCEI Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (collectively known as the “TradePlus L&I ETFs”) can be obtained at Affin Hwang Asset Management's (“AHAM Capital”) website at www.tradeplus.com.my. Investors are advised to read and understand the contents of the Prospectus dated 28 November 2017 and Supplemental Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker), and Prospectus dated 15 January 2019 and Supplemental Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus S&P New China Tracker), as well as the Master Prospectus dated 26 November 2019 (for the TradePlus L&I ETFs) before investing. There are fees and charges involved when investing in the funds stated herein. Investors are advised to consider and compare the fees and charges as well of the risks carefully before investing. Investors should make their own assessment of the risks involved in investing and should seek professional advice, where necessary. The price of units and distribution payable, if any, may go down as well as up and past performance of the funds should not be taken as indicative of their future performance. The Securities Commission Malaysia has not reviewed this material and takes no responsibility for the contents of this material and expressly disclaims all liability, however arising from this material.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: The "S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index" is a product of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a division of S&P Global, or its affiliates (“SPDJI”) and has been licensed for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. Standard & Poor’s® and S&P® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC, a division of S&P Global (“S&P”); Dow Jones® is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC (“Dow Jones”) and these trademarks have been licensed for use by SPDJI and sublicensed for certain purposes by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. TradePlus S&P New China Tracker is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by SPDJI, Dow Jones, S&P, their respective affiliates and none of such parties make any representation regarding the advisability of investing in such product(s) nor do they have any liability for any errors, omissions, or interruptions of the S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: Source ICE Data Indices, LLC (“ICE Data”), is used with permission. “NYSE® FANG+™” is a service/trade mark of ICE Data Indices, LLC or its affiliates and has been licensed, along with the NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 2X Leveraged Index and NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 1x Inverse Index (“Indices”) for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad in connection with the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (the “Product”). Neither Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad nor the Product, as applicable, is sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by ICE Data Indices, LLC, its affiliates or its Third Party Suppliers (“ICE Data and its Suppliers”). ICE Data and its Suppliers make no representations or warranties regarding the advisability of investing in securities generally, in the Product particularly, or the ability of the Index to track general stock market performance. ICE Data’s only relationship to Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad (“Licensee”) is the licensing of certain trademarks and trade names and the Index or components thereof. The Index is determined, composed and calculated by ICE Data without regard to the Licensee or the Product or its holders. ICE Data has no obligation to take the needs of the Licensee or the holder of the Product into consideration in determining, composing or calculating the Index. ICE Data is not responsible for and has not participated in the determination of the timing of, prices of, or quantities of the Product to be issued or in the determination or calculation of the equation by which the Product is to be priced, sold, purchased, or redeemed. Except for certain custom index calculation services, all information provided by ICE Data is general in nature and not tailored to the needs of Licensee or any other person, entity or group of persons. ICE Data has no obligation or liability in connection with the administration, marketing, or trading of the Product. ICE Data is not an investment advisor. Inclusion of a security within an index is not a recommendation by ICE Data to buy, sell, or hold such security, nor is it considered to be investment advice.
ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS AND/OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, INCLUDING THE INDICES, INDEX DATA AND ANY INFORMATION INCLUDED IN, RELATED TO, OR DERIVED THEREFROM (“INDEX DATA”). ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY DAMAGES OR LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE ADEQUACY, ACCURACY, TIMELINESS OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INDICES AND THE INDEX DATA, WHICH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.