In line with a more sustainable growth pace, China had recently guided a lower GDP range for 2019 (6.0% - 6.5%). Nevertheless, the consumption sector has continued to play a bigger role in the country’s economic growth as it looks to transition from an industrial-focused economy, to one that is consumption-driven. With measures continuously being put in place to drive the sector, we see China’s New Economy Sectors to be the key beneficiaries of the move.
China’s consumption sector continues to drive economic GDP
- For the 6th straight year, the consumption sector was the largest contributor to the economy’s growth – contributing 76.2% of the 6.6% GDP recorded in 2018
- Trend is expected to continue with supportive measures being put in place to boost consumption habits of the 1.4 billion domestic market
Measures in place to boost consumption
Key drivers pushes S&P New China Index ahead
Tech talks hog headlines
Tencent Holdings has bounced back after a disappointing 2018
- Despite the 40% rebound from its October 2018 low, stock price remains below its January 2018 high
- Game approvals by regulator has boosted investors’ sentiment for the company, after the regulators’ earlier clamp down on game releases
JD.com sees increase in active customers
- Accounts grew by 20% YoY in 4Q2018 to bring JD.Com’s total active customers to 305.3 million
- Stock price continued to climb higher after the company announced that its 4Q18 quarterly revenue climbed 22% YoY – translating to an adjusted net income of USD109.1 million, going against analysts’ expectations of a USD19.4 billion loss
5G technology takes off
- Reports of support for the 5G technology has put China at the forefront of the race, despite the resistance from the US
- It’s advanced position against its rivals puts it at an advantage, and has seen stock prices of telco related companies moving higher
- China Mobile unveiled its 5G chipset, and 5G devices at the 2018 World Mobile Congress (WMC) – the world’s largest showcase for the mobile industry. Its first commercial device is set to hit the streets in June this year
- ZTE Corp whereas, showcased its 5G phone at the 2019 WMC – which are set to be released in China, and Europe this year
S&P New China Ex A-Share Index Top Performers & Laggards
Performance of Tech Names within the Index
Gaining Access to the Index
Investors can gain access to the Index through the TradePlus S&P New China Tracker, an exchange-traded fund listed on the Main Market of Bursa Securities.
|Name of ETF
|TradePlus S&P New China Tracker
|The Fund aims to provide investment results that closely correspond to the performance of the Benchmark
|S&P New China Sectors Ex A-Shares Index
|Main Market – Bursa Exchange
|Minimum Trading Units
Data Source: Bloomberg as at 8 March 2019. Performance of indices are quoted in MYR terms, while other returns are quoted in local currency terms.
Disclaimer: This article has been prepared by AHAM Asset Management Berhad (“AHAM Capital”) specific for its use, a specific target audience, and for discussion purposes only. All information contained within this presentation belongs to AHAM Capital and may not be copied, distributed or otherwise disseminated in whole or in part without written consent of AHAM Capital. The information contained in this presentation may include, but is not limited to opinions, analysis, forecasts, projections and expectations (collectively referred to as “Opinions”). Such information has been obtained from various sources including those in the public domain, are merely expressions of belief. Although this presentation has been prepared on the basis of information and/or Opinions that are believed to be correct at the time the presentation was prepared, AHAM Capital makes no expressed or implied warranty as to the accuracy and completeness of any such information and/or Opinions. As with any forms of financial products, the financial product mentioned herein (if any) carries with it various risks. Although attempts have been made to disclose all possible risks involved, the financial product may still be subject to inherent risk that may arise beyond our reasonable contemplation. The financial product may be wholly unsuited for you, if you are adverse to the risk arising out of and/or in connection with the financial product. AHAM Capital is not acting as an advisor or agent to any person to whom this presentation is directed. Such persons must make their own independent assessments of the contents of this presentation, should not treat such content as advice relating to legal, accounting, taxation or investment matters and should consult their own advisers. AHAM Capital and its affiliates may act as a principal and agent in any transaction contemplated by this presentation, or any other transaction connected with any such transaction, and may as a result earn brokerage, commission or other income. Nothing in this presentation is intended to be, or should be construed as an offer to buy or sell, or invitation to subscribe for, any securities. Neither AHAM Capital nor any of its directors, employees or representatives are to have any liability (including liability to any person by reason of negligence or negligent misstatement) from any statement, opinion, information or matter (expressed or implied) arising out of, contained in or derived from or any omission from this presentation, except liability under statute that cannot be excluded.
Liscensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: The "S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index" is a product of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a division of S&P Global, or its affiliates (“SPDJI”) and has been licensed for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. Standard & Poor’s® and S&P® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC, a division of S&P Global (“S&P”); Dow Jones® is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC (“Dow Jones”) and these trademarks have been licensed for use by SPDJI and sublicensed for certain purposes by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. TradePlus S&P New China Tracker is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by SPDJI, Dow Jones, S&P, their respective affiliates and none of such parties make any representation regarding the advisability of investing in such product(s) nor do they have any liability for any errors, omissions, or interruptions of the S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index.