It was a shortened trading session last week with many markets closing on Friday for Labour Day holidays. Financial markets ended the week broadly stronger with the exception of the US market. Sentiment was boosted when announcements were made by some countries stating that it was looking at easing its lockdown measures.
In the news
- To date, there have been more than 3.4 million confirmed pandemic cases being reported globally, and resulted in more than 240,000 fatalities. With patchy containment measures being put in place, the number of confirmed cases in the US have continued to rise, and stood at 1.1 million cases as of last week.
- Despite not seeing an apparent fall in the rate of new cases, some governors in the US have announced that they will be looking at re-opening their economy – a move that was received with mixed reviews, but was taken as a boost in sentiment for markets.
- News that a Gilead’s drug had performed well in tests to reduce the severity of the disease in patience had also provided support for the markets.
- We also saw the US President steering the focus away from the pandemic when he announced the possibility of new trade sanctions on China as retaliatory measures against China’s alleged failure to provide early cooperation on the pandemic.
- European markets enjoyed a spark after announcing that it was looking to ease its lockdown measures. However, the decision by the ECB to deny additional stimulus injection did put pressure on markets.
- As the pandemic crisis is prolonged, France’s, and Italy’s economy have official fallen into recessionary zone.
- Japan stated that it will look to maintain the current state of emergency until the end of May, or till the first week of June after its goal of reducing human-to-human contact by 80% was not achieved. To date, the country has more than 14,000 confirmed cases, and 450 fatalities from the pandemic.
- Oil price held steady as the implementation of production cuts start. The WTI saw some reprise last week, rising 21.6% after having fallen more than 66.0% this year.
- Gold price remains a top performer on a YTD as uncertainties prevail in global markets. The 0828EA, which tracks the performance of the LBMA Gold Price has risen 18.0% in MYR terms over the same period.
In other economic news
- The pandemic crisis continued to take its toll on the US economy.
- 1st quarter GDP shrank by 4.8%.
- Manufacturing PMI dropped from 48.5 in March to 36.1 in April after business activity was seen taking a nose dive.
- 3.8 million Americans claimed unemployment benefits last week
- The total unemployment claims for 6-weeks now stand at 30 million (approximately 18% of the US working population).
- Interest rates were kept unchanged at the last FOMC meeting.
- China continues to face pressures on its export front as recessionary concerns loom over global economies.
- Manufacturing PMI was recorded at 49.4 in April, from 50.1 in March.
- Official manufacturing PMI remains in an expansionary stage – at 50.8 in April (from 52.0 in March).
- ECB’s President, Christine Lagarde, reaffirmed markets that it was “fully committed to doing everything possible in its mandate to support every citizen of the Eurozone”.
- It maintained its key deposit rates at -0.5%, and stated that it will continue with its plans to buy more than Eur 1 trillion in bonds to support the financial markets.
- The BoJ made an equally accommodative move by removing its annual quota of 80 trillion Yen and have an unlimited quota to purchase government bonds.
What to look out for ahead
- Markets will be looking out for the release of US’ unemployment data this week, with many expecting a big jump in the number as most states remain on lockdown amidst the pandemic crisis.
- Bank Negara will meet tomorrow with many expecting further cuts to interest rates on the back of this more challenging economic landscape.
ETF strategies at TradePlus
- To Hedge:
- 0828EA – a Gold-backed ETF widely used as a storage of value in times of market uncertainty.
- 0833EA – a HSCEI Inverse strategy that helps hedge your portfolio against weakness from the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0831EA – the NYSE FANG+ Inverse strategy that hedges against the performance of tech stocks listed in the US.
- To Add Position:
- 0829EA / 0829EB – a strategy that gives investors exposure into the consumer focused sector through China companies listed in HK, and the US.
- 0832EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the HSCEI that captures 2 times the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0830EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the NYSE FANG+ that captures 2 times the performance of US listed tech stocks.
A look at the performance of the TradePlus ETFs, and major global indices
Learn more about TradePlus ETFs
Disclaimer: This article has been prepared by AHAM Asset Management Berhad (“AHAM Capital”) specific for its use, a specific target audience, and for discussion purposes only. All information contained within this presentation belongs to AHAM Capital and may not be copied, distributed or otherwise disseminated in whole or in part without written consent of AHAM Capital. The information contained in this presentation may include, but is not limited to opinions, analysis, forecasts, projections and expectations (collectively referred to as “Opinions”). Such information has been obtained from various sources including those in the public domain, are merely expressions of belief. Although this presentation has been prepared on the basis of information and/or Opinions that are believed to be correct at the time the presentation was prepared, AHAM Capital makes no expressed or implied warranty as to the accuracy and completeness of any such information and/or Opinions. As with any forms of financial products, the financial product mentioned herein (if any) carries with it various risks. Although attempts have been made to disclose all possible risks involved, the financial product may still be subject to inherent risk that may arise beyond our reasonable contemplation. The financial product may be wholly unsuited for you, if you are adverse to the risk arising out of and/or in connection with the financial product. AHAM Capital is not acting as an advisor or agent to any person to whom this presentation is directed. Such persons must make their own independent assessments of the contents of this presentation, should not treat such content as advice relating to legal, accounting, taxation or investment matters and should consult their own advisers. AHAM Capital and its affiliates may act as a principal and agent in any transaction contemplated by this presentation, or any other transaction connected with any such transaction, and may as a result earn brokerage, commission or other income. Nothing in this presentation is intended to be, or should be construed as an offer to buy or sell, or invitation to subscribe for, any securities. Neither AHAM Capital nor any of its directors, employees or representatives are to have any liability (including liability to any person by reason of negligence or negligent misstatement) from any statement, opinion, information or matter (expressed or implied) arising out of, contained in or derived from or any omission from this presentation, except liability under statute that cannot be excluded.
Warning Statement: A Prospectus is available for the TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker and TradePlus S&P New China Tracker, while a Master Prospectus is available for the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+TM Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker, TradePlus NYSE® FANG+TM Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker, TradePlus HSCEI Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and TradePlus HSCEI Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (collectively known as the “TradePlus L&I ETFs”), and investors have the right to request a copy of it. Investors are advised to read and understand the contents of the Prospectus dated 28 November 2017 and Supplementary Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker), and Prospectus dated 15 January 2019 and Supplementary Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus S&P New China Tracker), as well as the Master Prospectus dated 26 November 2019 (for the TradePlus L&I ETFs) before investing. The Prospectus / Supplementary Prospectus / Master Prospectus have been registered with the Securities Commission Malaysia, who takes no responsibility for its contents. An electronic copy of the Prospectus / Supplementary Prospectus / Master Prospectus can be obtained at Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad’s website www.tradeplus.com.my. As with any forms of financial products, the financial products mentioned herein carries with them various risks. Investors are advised to consider the general and specific risks involved as stipulated in its Prospectus / Supplementary Prospectus / Master Prospectus before investing. There are also fees and charges involved when investing in these funds, and investors are advised to consider the fees and charges carefully before investing. The price of units and distribution payable, if any, may go down as well as up and past performance of the funds should not be taken as indicative of their future performance.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: The "S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index" is a product of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a division of S&P Global, or its affiliates (“SPDJI”) and has been licensed for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. Standard & Poor’s® and S&P® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC, a division of S&P Global (“S&P”); Dow Jones® is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC (“Dow Jones”) and these trademarks have been licensed for use by SPDJI and sublicensed for certain purposes by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. TradePlus S&P New China Tracker is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by SPDJI, Dow Jones, S&P, their respective affiliates and none of such parties make any representation regarding the advisability of investing in such product(s) nor do they have any liability for any errors, omissions, or interruptions of the S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: Source ICE Data Indices, LLC (“ICE Data”), is used with permission. “NYSE® FANG+™” is a service/trade mark of ICE Data Indices, LLC or its affiliates and has been licensed, along with the NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 2X Leveraged Index and NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 1x Inverse Index (“Indices”) for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad in connection with the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (the “Product”). Neither Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad nor the Product, as applicable, is sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by ICE Data Indices, LLC, its affiliates or its Third Party Suppliers (“ICE Data and its Suppliers”). ICE Data and its Suppliers make no representations or warranties regarding the advisability of investing in securities generally, in the Product particularly, or the ability of the Index to track general stock market performance. ICE Data’s only relationship to Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad (“Licensee”) is the licensing of certain trademarks and trade names and the Index or components thereof. The Index is determined, composed and calculated by ICE Data without regard to the Licensee or the Product or its holders. ICE Data has no obligation to take the needs of the Licensee or the holder of the Product into consideration in determining, composing or calculating the Index. ICE Data is not responsible for and has not participated in the determination of the timing of, prices of, or quantities of the Product to be issued or in the determination or calculation of the equation by which the Product is to be priced, sold, purchased, or redeemed. Except for certain custom index calculation services, all information provided by ICE Data is general in nature and not tailored to the needs of Licensee or any other person, entity or group of persons. ICE Data has no obligation or liability in connection with the administration, marketing, or trading of the Product. ICE Data is not an investment advisor. Inclusion of a security within an index is not a recommendation by ICE Data to buy, sell, or hold such security, nor is it considered to be investment advice.
ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS AND/OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, INCLUDING THE INDICES, INDEX DATA AND ANY INFORMATION INCLUDED IN, RELATED TO, OR DERIVED THEREFROM (“INDEX DATA”). ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY DAMAGES OR LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE ADEQUACY, ACCURACY, TIMELINESS OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INDICES AND THE INDEX DATA, WHICH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.