It was a short trading week last week as we celebrated the Hari Raya holidays, and US markets closed on Monday for Memorial Day. Markets moved higher as sentiment improved on the back of a gradual reopening of businesses and optimism for a vaccine. This comes amidst the pandemic infections rising above 6 million, and the US topping the infection cases with more than 1.8 million people infected, and fatalities exceeding 100,000. With already rising concerns surrounding the US-China trade ties, more pressure mounted after rioters went back onto the streets of Hong Kong, triggered by China’s imposition of national security laws.
In the news
- Global equity markets rejoiced on news that the global economy would take steps to restart its economy, with more businesses reopening their doors as containment measures are gradually lifted.
- Though tech names have remained resilient over the course of the pandemic, social media platform providers were thrown a surprise when the US President threatened to tighten regulations after Twitter posted a fact-check notice on one of his tweets. The NYSE FANG+ Index slid 0.8% lower last week, but remained a strong YTD performer with its 29.9% returns in MYR terms.
- The ECB President sent signals of a weak outlook, warning that the economy may shrink between 8 – 12% this year as the bloc continues to grapple with the impact of the pandemic.
- Geopolitical tensions remain high as critics passed comments on China’s decision to impose national security laws on Hong Kong. Rioters were back on the streets to protest China’s decision, raising concerns on Hong Kong’s future as Asia’s financial service hub.
- This had led to a more cautious tone for China’s equity markets, though broader equity indices did move higher. While the CSI300 Index, and Shanghai Composite Index inched 0.7%, and 1.0% higher in MYR terms respectively, the consumption focused S&P New China Sectors Ex A Share Index leaped 3.0% higher. This contributed to the 0829EA’s performance, which 3.2% last week to bring its YTD gains to 4.4%.
- MSCI announced that it would be shifting more derivative products it has on the SGX platform, to the HKEX – citing the merit of HKEX’s advantage of a larger customer base.
- While China had reiterated that it would meet its end of the phase 1 trade deal, the pandemic has indisputably caused disruptions.
- China is currently 40% below target for its imports of US manufactured goods, and
- 60% below target on imports for US agricultural goods.
- It was a relatively flat week for Gold price as focus turned to equities on the back of improved risk appetite. The precious metal maintains its position as a strong performer YTD, with a gain of 20.5% in MYR terms. The 0828EA, which tracks the LBMA Gold Price moved in line with the index, sliding 0.8% lower last week, after already locking in 10.9% in the 1st quarter.
In other economic news
- US economic data remained weak, but some were better than expected:
- Durable goods orders fell 7.4%, which was approximately 50% of what was expected.
- Another 2.12 million had claimed unemployment benefits – seeing a downward trend.
- Consumers’ spending tumbled 14% in April, the worst monthly decline since it started tracking data in 1959.
- Personal income rose by 11% - boosted by government’s stimulus payout from the pandemic.
- More stimulus are expected to flow out of the EU, and the UK:
- The European Commission unveiled a Eur 750 billion pandemic recovery plan.
- Germany is said to be looking into a stimulus plan valued at between Eur 50 – 100 billion.
- The ECB is expected to discuss a possible increase on its asset purchase program at its meeting later this week.
- Bank of England Governor, Andrew Bailey, stated that the recovery process for the UK economy may take longer than expected, and that the BoE is ready to provide the support that the economy needs.
- China sees improving data after the earlier drop
- Manufacturing PMI indicated an expansionary trend of 50.6 in May, following a 50.8 reading in April.
- 81.2% of manufacturing firms who took part in a survey indicated that their business operations were back up to over 80%.
- PMI for the non-manufacturing sectors was also promising at 53.6 in May, rising from the 53.2 in April.
- Industrial output for April recovered to 3.9%, from the -13.5% in January and February which was led by the lockdown measures.
ETF strategies at TradePlus
- To Hedge:
- 0828EA – a Gold-backed ETF widely used as a storage of value in times of market uncertainty.
- 0833EA – a HSCEI Inverse strategy that helps hedge your portfolio against weakness from the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0831EA – the NYSE FANG+ Inverse strategy that hedges against the performance of tech stocks listed in the US.
- To Add Position:
- 0829EA / 0829EB – a strategy that gives investors exposure into the consumer focused sector through China companies listed in HK, and the US.
- 0832EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the HSCEI that captures 2 times the performance of China companies listed on the HKex.
- 0830EA – a 2X leveraged strategy on the NYSE FANG+ that captures 2 times the performance of US listed tech stocks.
A look at the performance of the TradePlus ETFs, and major global indices
Learn more about TradePlus ETFs
Disclaimer: This article has been prepared by Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad (hereinafter referred to as “Affin Hwang AM”) specific for its use, a specific target audience, and for discussion purposes only. All information contained within this presentation belongs to Affin Hwang AM and may not be copied, distributed or otherwise disseminated in whole or in part without written consent of Affin Hwang AM. The information contained in this presentation may include, but is not limited to opinions, analysis, forecasts, projections and expectations (collectively referred to as “Opinions”). Such information has been obtained from various sources including those in the public domain, are merely expressions of belief. Although this presentation has been prepared on the basis of information and/or Opinions that are believed to be correct at the time the presentation was prepared, Affin Hwang AM makes no expressed or implied warranty as to the accuracy and completeness of any such information and/or Opinions. As with any forms of financial products, the financial product mentioned herein (if any) carries with it various risks. Although attempts have been made to disclose all possible risks involved, the financial product may still be subject to inherent risk that may arise beyond our reasonable contemplation. The financial product may be wholly unsuited for you, if you are adverse to the risk arising out of and/or in connection with the financial product. Affin Hwang AM is not acting as an advisor or agent to any person to whom this presentation is directed. Such persons must make their own independent assessments of the contents of this presentation, should not treat such content as advice relating to legal, accounting, taxation or investment matters and should consult their own advisers. Affin Hwang AM and its affiliates may act as a principal and agent in any transaction contemplated by this presentation, or any other transaction connected with any such transaction, and may as a result earn brokerage, commission or other income. Nothing in this presentation is intended to be, or should be construed as an offer to buy or sell, or invitation to subscribe for, any securities. Neither Affin Hwang AM nor any of its directors, employees or representatives are to have any liability (including liability to any person by reason of negligence or negligent misstatement) from any statement, opinion, information or matter (expressed or implied) arising out of, contained in or derived from or any omission from this presentation, except liability under statute that cannot be excluded.
Warning Statement: A copy of the Prospectus / Supplemental Prospectus for the TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker and TradePlus S&P New China Tracker, as well as the Master Prospectus for the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker, TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker, TradePlus HSCEI Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and TradePlus HSCEI Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (collectively known as the “TradePlus L&I ETFs”) can be obtained at Affin Hwang Asset Management's (“Affin Hwang AM”) website at www.tradeplus.com.my. Investors are advised to read and understand the contents of the Prospectus dated 28 November 2017 and Supplemental Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus Shariah Gold Tracker), and Prospectus dated 15 January 2019 and Supplemental Prospectus dated 2 July 2019 (for TradePlus S&P New China Tracker), as well as the Master Prospectus dated 26 November 2019 (for the TradePlus L&I ETFs) before investing. There are fees and charges involved when investing in the funds stated herein. Investors are advised to consider and compare the fees and charges as well of the risks carefully before investing. Investors should make their own assessment of the risks involved in investing and should seek professional advice, where necessary. The price of units and distribution payable, if any, may go down as well as up and past performance of the funds should not be taken as indicative of their future performance. SC has not reviewed this material and takes no responsibilities for the contents of this material and expressly disclaims all liability, however arising from this material.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: The "S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index" is a product of S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC, a division of S&P Global, or its affiliates (“SPDJI”) and has been licensed for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. Standard & Poor’s® and S&P® are registered trademarks of Standard & Poor’s Financial Services LLC, a division of S&P Global (“S&P”); Dow Jones® is a registered trademark of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings LLC (“Dow Jones”) and these trademarks have been licensed for use by SPDJI and sublicensed for certain purposes by Affin Hwang Asset Management Bhd. TradePlus S&P New China Tracker is not sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by SPDJI, Dow Jones, S&P, their respective affiliates and none of such parties make any representation regarding the advisability of investing in such product(s) nor do they have any liability for any errors, omissions, or interruptions of the S&P New China Ex A-Shares Index.
Licensing Disclosure Statement & Conditions: Source ICE Data Indices, LLC (“ICE Data”), is used with permission. “NYSE® FANG+™” is a service/trade mark of ICE Data Indices, LLC or its affiliates and has been licensed, along with the NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 2X Leveraged Index and NYSE® FANG+™ Daily 1x Inverse Index (“Indices”) for use by Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad in connection with the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (2x) Leveraged Tracker and the TradePlus NYSE® FANG+™ Daily (-1x) Inverse Tracker (the “Product”). Neither Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad nor the Product, as applicable, is sponsored, endorsed, sold or promoted by ICE Data Indices, LLC, its affiliates or its Third Party Suppliers (“ICE Data and its Suppliers”). ICE Data and its Suppliers make no representations or warranties regarding the advisability of investing in securities generally, in the Product particularly, or the ability of the Index to track general stock market performance. ICE Data’s only relationship to Affin Hwang Asset Management Berhad (“Licensee”) is the licensing of certain trademarks and trade names and the Index or components thereof. The Index is determined, composed and calculated by ICE Data without regard to the Licensee or the Product or its holders. ICE Data has no obligation to take the needs of the Licensee or the holder of the Product into consideration in determining, composing or calculating the Index. ICE Data is not responsible for and has not participated in the determination of the timing of, prices of, or quantities of the Product to be issued or in the determination or calculation of the equation by which the Product is to be priced, sold, purchased, or redeemed. Except for certain custom index calculation services, all information provided by ICE Data is general in nature and not tailored to the needs of Licensee or any other person, entity or group of persons. ICE Data has no obligation or liability in connection with the administration, marketing, or trading of the Product. ICE Data is not an investment advisor. Inclusion of a security within an index is not a recommendation by ICE Data to buy, sell, or hold such security, nor is it considered to be investment advice.
ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS AND/OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE, INCLUDING THE INDICES, INDEX DATA AND ANY INFORMATION INCLUDED IN, RELATED TO, OR DERIVED THEREFROM (“INDEX DATA”). ICE DATA AND ITS SUPPLIERS SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY DAMAGES OR LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE ADEQUACY, ACCURACY, TIMELINESS OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INDICES AND THE INDEX DATA, WHICH ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.